Looking for a soup that will please your taste buds all year round? Look no further! This delightful BLT chowder brings together the classic flavors of a BLT sandwich with the comforting goodness of a hearty chowder. It’s not only incredibly delicious but also packed with essential nutrients that are beneficial for your health. Let’s explore the nutritional benefits of the key ingredients and discover why this soup is a must-try!
Contrary to its reputation, bacon offers surprising nutritional value. It contains vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, and B12, which are essential for various bodily functions, including metabolism and nerve function. Additionally, bacon is a significant source of selenium, an antioxidant that protects your cells from oxidative damage, and phosphorus, vital for strong bones and teeth.
Leeks contribute a delicate flavor and are rich in flavonoids, especially kaempferol, which act as antioxidants with anti-inflammatory, anti-diabetic, and potentially anticancer properties. Including leeks in your diet can contribute to overall well-being and reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
The russet potatoes in this chowder offer more than just a filling addition. They are rich in vitamin C, an antioxidant that strengthens the immune system, and potassium, an electrolyte that aids in maintaining heart health, muscle function, and a well-regulated nervous system.
Celery adds nutrition and texture to the chowder, being low in calories and high in water content. It contains numerous vitamins and minerals, including potassium and calcium, while also possessing anti-inflammatory properties that support overall digestive health.
Tomatoes contribute their unique tangy and sweet flavor to the chowder while being low in calories and rich in vitamin C and potassium. They also offer lycopene, a potent antioxidant associated with reduced cancer risk and improved skin health.
This savory BLT chowder is a versatile and flavorsome soup that you’ll want to savor all year long. It combines the classic tastes of a BLT sandwich with a nourishing blend of bacon, leeks, potatoes, celery, and tomatoes. Each ingredient contributes essential nutrients that support your overall health and well-being.Beyond its health benefits, this chowder is incredibly easy to prepare, making it a convenient option for any time of the year. Whether you’re seeking comfort on a chilly winter evening or a light meal during the warmer months, this soup is the perfect choice.So why not give this super easy and delicious BLT chowder a try? Your taste buds and your body will thank you for it! Whether enjoyed on its own or accompanied by a crusty bread roll, this soup is sure to become a beloved staple in your kitchen.
BLT Chowder (GF/DF)
- 6 slices bacon, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 leeks, rough tops and roots trimmed and rinsed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 large russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6 cups chicken stock, divided
- 3 small celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 14oz can petite diced tomatoes, well drained
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat the oven to 400˚F.
- Place the bacon on a sheet pan and bake 20 minutes or until crisp. Remove from the oven, drain, crumble and set aside.
- Meanwhile, place 2 of the potatoes, leeks and 1 quart stock in a soup pot set over medium heat. Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes pierce easily with a fork, about 10 minutes. Using an immersion blender, puree the vegetables. If the mixture becomes too thick, add additional stock, ½ cup at a time.
- Add the remaining stock, remaining potato, celery, bay leaf, salt and pepper (to taste), and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and continue to cook until the potatoes are tender, about 8 minutes longer.
- Remove the bay leaf and stir in the tomatoes, parsley and reserved bacon. Adjust the seasoning with additional salt and pepper if necessary and ladle into bowls and serve.
FOLLOW ME HERE FOR MORE IDEAS:
Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links. Colleen Finley is an independent advanced director for Pampered Chef. She earns a commission by linking to products she uses and trusts. If you purchase a product through her website link, your cost will be the same, and Colleen will automatically receive a small commission. Your support is greatly appreciated and helps us enrich lives, one meal and one memory at a time! Everything on this site, recipes and photos belong to the author and any reprints are only by permission of the author.