These will quickly become one of your favorite recipes for ribs! The lemon is super subtle and the sauce is not too thick. Also, this can be done early in the day or the day before leaving you time to socialize with your friends or relax!
While we don’t eat ribs very often, I love cooking ribs for a special occasion or party because they are a great value when you make them yourself. We served this with spicy rainbow slaw and french fries, but they can be served with any sides.
Lemon BBQ Ribs (GF/DF)
- 3 pounds pork spareribs, cut into serving pieces
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- 3 lemons
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp finely chopped onion
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash hot sauce
- Place the ribs in a stock pot and add enough water to cover. Heat to boiling, then reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer 1 hour and 30 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, combine sugar and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. As soon as sugar has dissolved (after boiling), remove from heat and allow to cool.
- While the simple syrup is cooling, juice the lemons until you have 3/4 cups of juice. Strain out the seeds and as much pulp as you wish. Add the juice to the simple syrup and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, onion, ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce and hot pepper sauce and set aside.
- Remove the ribs to a baking dish. Mix the lemon mixture into the barbecue sauce. Pour half of the sauce over the ribs, turning to coat. Cover with foil and refrigerate, turning the ribs occasionally, at least 4 hours but no longer than 24 hours. Refrigerate the remaining sauce.
- Heat a grill for direct heat. Remove the pork from the marinade, discarding the marinade. Grill the ribs, meaty-sides up, uncovered about 30 minutes, turning with tongs and brushing frequently with the reserved sauce, until glazed and heated through.
FOLLOW ME HERE FOR MORE IDEAS:
Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links. Colleen Finley is an independent advanced director for Pampered Chef. She earns a commission by linking to products she uses and trusts. If you purchase a product through her website link, your cost will be the same, and Colleen will automatically receive a small commission. Your support is greatly appreciated and helps us enrich lives, one meal and one memory at a time!