I love lemons all year long but in springtime, the fresh flavor speaks to me. These lemon bars are absolutely delicious! They are the perfect tartness of lemon with a flaky shortbread crust. These will be a hit at your next bake sale!
Springtime Lemon Bars
Makes 16 bars
1 1/2 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup butter, cut into pieces
3 tablespoons water
1 cup granulated sugar
2 egg whites
2 tablespoons all-purpose gluten-free flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons powdered sugar
- Heat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9×9 square pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- For the crust, combine the flour and powdered sugar in a food processor fitted with the multi-use blade. Add the butter and process until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the water, one tablespoon at a time, until the dough just begins to come together. Press the crumb mixture onto the bottom of the parchment-lined pan.
- Bake 17 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- Meanwhile, for the filling, zest two of the lemons to measure 2 teaspoons zest. Juice the lemons to measure 1/2 cup juice.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the lemon zest, juice and granulated sugar. Whisk until well combined. Add the eggs, egg whites, flour and salt to the bowl and whisk until blended. Pour the filling over the crust, spreading evenly.
- Bake 20 minutes or until the filling is set. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- When cooled, sprinkle with powdered sugar and cut into bars 16 bars.
Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links. Colleen Finley is an independent advanced director for Pampered Chef. She earns a commission by linking to products she uses and trusts. If you purchase a product through her website link, your cost will be the same, and Colleen will automatically receive a small commission. Your support is greatly appreciated and helps us enrich lives, one meal and one memory at a time!
Everything on this site, recipes and photos belong to the author and any reprints are only by permission of the author.