Way back when I was first living on my own, I used to frequent the St Louis Bread Company location that was near my house. One thing they had on their menu that I couldn’t get enough of was their New England Clam Chowder in a bread bowl. It was perfect… the tangy sourdough bread soaked with the creamy soup… it was dreamy!
As I’ve mentioned several times, when I started with Pampered Chef, I loved how easy the recipes were and how they always came out looking beautiful. One spring they debuted a recipe for a salad bread bowl! In bringing back old things and making them new again, I decided to bring back the bread bowl and pair it with my newest favorite salad.
The salad… I never get tired of this salad! It’s light, tasty and fulfilling and even better when you pull off a side of the bowl and take a big bite of salad and bread at the same time! Heaven!
Perfect Bread Bowl Salad
1½ cups flour, plus additional as needed
1½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp baking soda
1 cup 2% plain low-fat Greek yogurt
½ cup + 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
¾ cup + 2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
1 garlic clove, pressed
4 cups mixed salad greens
1 15oz can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
½ cup red bell pepper, diced
4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- In the Classic Batter Bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt and mix well. Stir in yogurt and mix until combined (mixture will look dry).
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured Pastry Mat. Knead dough 4 minutes, sprinkling with additional flour as needed. Shape dough into a ball.
- Roll dough into a 12-inch circle using a lightly floured Baker’s Roller. Pierce entire surface of dough using pastry tool. Brush a clean Batter Bowl with oil, then invert onto a Medium Sheet Pan. Transfer the dough onto the Bowl, draping the dough over the Bowl to create a bowl.
- Place in the oven and bake 22-25 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, add all the dressing ingredients to the Measure, Mix & Pour, twist on the lid, and shake until combined. Set aside.
- Using the Salad Chopper, roughly chop the greens. In the 4-Qt Plastic Mixing Bowl, combine the greens, red pepper, and feta. Pour ¼ of the the dressing over the top and toss gently to combine. (If you want more dressing, add it when served as to not make the bread bowl soggy!)
- Remove the bread bowl from the oven and carefully remove from the Batter Bowl. Place on a serving platter and add the salad to the bowl.
- Serve while the bread bowl is warm, passing additional dressing on the side if needed.
Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links. Colleen Finley is an independent advanced director for Pampered Chef. She earns a commission by linking to products she uses and trusts. If you purchase a product through her website link, your cost will be the same, and Colleen will automatically receive a small commission. Your support is greatly appreciated and helps us enrich lives, one meal and one memory at a time!
Everything on this site, recipes and photos belong to the author and any reprints are only by permission of the author.
One thought on “Perfect Bread Bowl Salad”
This sounds awesome!