Every other month Bill and his buddies get together for a bourbon night. It’s a fun evening to try different bourbons, smoke a few cigars and hang out with each other. I’m usually in charge of making dessert for the event. When it’s fall, I always feel like baking with apples and my fluted cake pan.
This cake is easy to make, smells even better cooking and has the delicious flavors of apples, bourbon and cinnamon in each bite. There are a few steps to the recipe, but they are all easy and it comes together quickly.
Bourbon Apple Cake
Makes 16 servings
Streusel and Filling:
¼ cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon Pantry Cinnamon Plus
⅔ cup gluten free all-purpose flour (I use this one)
3 tablespoons cold butter, grated
2 apples, 2 cored and each cut into 8 sections and 2 chopped, divided
1 stick butter, at room temperature
¾ cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon Pantry Double Strength Pure Vanilla Extract
⅔ cup Greek yogurt
⅓ apple sauce
2 cups gluten free all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon Pantry Cinnamon Plus
¼ cup apple cider
¼ cup bourbon
4 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 cup powdered sugar
½ tablespoon bourbon
½ teaspoon sea salt
- Heat the oven to 350˚F. generously butter the Fluted Cake Pan and set aside.
- In the Small Batter Bowl, combine the brown sugar, Cinnamon Plus, and flour. Grate in the butter using the Adjustable Coarse Grater. Using your fingers, mix the butter into brown sugar mixture until combined and the size of peas. Sprinkle 1/3 of the mixture into the bottom of the Fluted Cake Pan. Set aside the remaining streusel mixture.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter and brown sugar until combined. Add in the Greek yogurt, apple sauce, and vanilla and beat until smooth. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, Cinnamon Plus and salt and beat until combined. Slowly beat in the apple cider and bourbon.
- Using the Apple Wedger, wedge two apples to create 16 pieces. Lay each piece into the Fluted Cake Pan in the wells to create a spoke-effect. Spoon ½ of the batter over the apples. Sprinkle with the remaining streusel mixture, then top with the chopped apples. Spoon the remaining batter over the chopped apples.
- Bake 50-60 minutes or until the Cake Tester & Releaser inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Whisk in the powdered sugar, bourbon and salt and whisk until smooth using the Stainless Whisk.
- Remove the cake from the oven to the Stackable Cooling Rack and cool for 30 minutes, then invert the cake onto a serving plate.
- Drizzle the glaze over the top and let set for 10 minutes. Serve the cake slightly warm or at room temperature.
Makes 16 servings.
Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links. Colleen Finley is an independent advanced director for Pampered Chef. She earns a commission by linking to products she uses and trusts. If you purchase a product through her website link, your cost will be the same, and Colleen will automatically receive a small commission. Your support is greatly appreciated and helps us enrich lives, one meal and one memory at a time!
Everything on this site, recipes and photos belong to the author and any reprints are only by permission of the author.