Aren’t we always looking for a juicy turkey burger that is actually juicy? I’ve been making my turkey burgers this way for years since I learned a little secret one night when I was volunteering.
I was helping out at a poker fund-raising event at a restaurant in suburban Detroit that ended up running into the early morning hours. The volunteers were getting hungry so the manager offered us something to eat as a thank you for helping out. I said that I was craving a burger but being an Italian restaurant, they didn’t have one on the menu. The manager told me not to worry, they would accommodate my request.
The burger was one of the most delicious things I had ever tasted… perfectly beefy, juicy and everything you would want in a burger. Then the manager shared with me the secret. He told me that the chef always ground the beef for the burgers he made. But that wasn’t it… he noted that the chef always added portobello mushrooms to the mix. That was my a-ha moment.
Since I’ve been making my burgers this way, everyone has said the exact same thing… they can’t believe it’s not a beef burger! It’s perfectly juicy and has the appearance of a beef burger.
Plus, we all know turkey burgers are better for you because they aren’t red meat and are a lean protein. Throw in the portobello and you have added an excellent source of riboflavin, niacin, copper (a mineral necessary for storing and producing iron) and potassium. Enjoy your burgers… you’ll never make them any other way again!
For the portobellos, I pop them into my food processor and process them until they are finely ground.
Then I combine them with the ground turkey, some GF breadcrumbs and seasoning mix. I form them into patties and then into the grill they go!
PERFECT JUUCY TURKEY BURGER
Makes 4 servings
1 pound ground turkey
2 portobello mushroom caps
2 tablespoons gluten-free breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon Pantry Crushed Peppercorn & Garlic Rub
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons spicy ketchup (I used this one)
4 lettuce leaves
4 tomato slices
4 gluten-free hamburger buns
- Place the portobellos in a food processor and process until finely ground. Transfer to a bowl and combine with the turkey, breadcrumbs, and Rub.
- Set the Deluxe Electric Grill & Griddle, with the grill plates, to the GRILL setting for 5 minutes and press START.
- Meanwhile, the turkey mixture into 4 patties and seta side.
- Once the grill has preheated, place the burgers on the grill, close the top. (If you are not using the Deluxe Electric Grill & Griddle, heat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Grill the burgers 5 minutes per side or until the burgers reach 165F).
- While the burgers are grilling, mix the mayonnaise and ketchup in a 1-Cup Prep Bowl using the Mini-Skinny Scraper and set aside.
- When the timer is up, check the temperature of the burgers using the Instant-Read Food Thermometer to ensure the burgers are 165F. When burgers are done, remove them from the grill to the Cutting Board to rest for 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spread the mayonnaise mixture on the bun tops and bottoms. Place the burgers on the bottom buns and top with lettuce and tomatoes. Place the bun tops over the burgers and serve.
Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links. Colleen Finley is an independent advanced director for Pampered Chef. She earns a commission by linking to products she uses and trusts. If you purchase a product through her website link, your cost will be the same, and Colleen will automatically receive a small commission. Your support is greatly appreciated and helps us enrich lives, one meal and one memory at a time!
Everything on this site, recipes and photos belong to the author and any reprints are only by permission of the author.