I’m always looking for ways to add more nutrients to my meals and it’s always a win when no one knows it’s healthy! There are so many healthy hidden gems in these meatballs! Protein helps us stay fuller longer because it takes longer for our bodies to break down than carbohydrates. The chicken livers are rich in iron and don’t be scared! No one will ever know they are there. Kale provides Vitamins A, C and K as well as calcium and potassium. These meatballs have it all, and they are delicious!
I like to make a big batch and freeze them to have throughout the week. And you can double the pesto recipe to use as a sauce!
1/2 cup olive oil
2 ounces Romano cheese, cut into chunks
2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup spinach leaves
1/2 cup kale leaves
2 ounces freeze-dried sun-dried tomatoes
24 ounces chicken livers, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons ghee
2 pounds ground turkey
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
- Heat the oven to 375F.
- Place the oil, cheese, sunflower seeds, salt, basil, spinach, kale and sun-dried tomatoes in the Deluxe Cooking Blender. Place the lid on top and lock into place. Blend on speed 2 of CUSTOM BLEND setting for 1:30. If the blades are still moving but not blending, press the wheel to allow the pesto to fall back into the blades. Set the pesto aside.
- Rinse the chicken livers and trim any fat or connective tissue. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Melt the ghee in the 10″ Nonstick Fry Pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken livers and cook 4-5 minutes per side or until gray/brown.
- Remove the chicken livers from the Pan and place in a food processor and process until ground into a smooth paste.
- Place the chicken, chicken liver paste, and pesto in the Medium Stainless Mixing Bowl. Mix gently until thoroughly combined.
- Using the Medium Scoop, scoop out into balls and place on the Baking Rack set over the Half Sheet Pan. Place in the oven and bake 25 minutes or until the Digital Thermometer registers 165F.
- Remove from the Rack and use as desired or serve with Silky Smooth Marinara.
Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links. Colleen Finley is an independent advanced director for Pampered Chef. She earns a commission by linking to products she uses and trusts. If you purchase a product through her website link, your cost will be the same, and Colleen will automatically receive a small commission. Your support is greatly appreciated and helps us enrich lives, one meal and one memory at a time!