A friend of mine shared this recipe with me and I made a little twist by making my own sauce (or gravy) for it. Of course, a jarred marinara would work perfectly too but I like to control my ingredients as much as possible!
This meal comes together so fast due to three kitchen tools that are a necessity! The Simple Slicer, Quick Slice and Quick Cooker. There seems to be a theme there: simple and quick!
I wanted to surprise Bill with this meal when he got home and one of my favorite things to do for him is to have him walk through our front door and smell something delicious! Mission accomplished!
As soon as I arrived home from work, I started the sauce. It’s so easy with just 5 ingredients!
As it simmered, I got started on the onions and peppers.
Then I seared the sausage.
Then everything went it and the pressure was on! Bill loved it just as I knew he would and I’m confident that this recipe is going to be repeated A LOT!
Classic Sausage & Peppers
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 garlic cloves, pressed
2 tablespoons Italian Seasoning Mix
4 bell peppers, sliced
1 medium white onion, sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
32 oz sweet Italian sausage
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, garlic and Italian Seasoning Mix. Bring to a boil, then reduce to low and let simmer until you’re reading to put it into the Quick Cooker.
- Using the Simple Slicer, slice the onion. Using the Quick Slice, slice the peppers. Set both aside.
- Set the Quick Cooker to Sear and add the oil. When it starts to shimmer, add half of the sausages and brown for 5 minutes without moving. Turn and brown an additional five minutes. Remove the sausages from the Quick Cooker to a plate. Repeat with the remaining sausage.
- Reset the Quick Cooker to Sear and add the onions and peppers. Sear, tossing occasionally for 3 minutes. Press Cancel.
- Return the sausages to the Quick Cooker and pour the simmering sauce over the top. Stir to combine.
- Cover and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to “sealing.” Press Custom and adjust the time to 8 minutes. Press Start.
- When the timer beeps, you can manually release the steam or let it naturally release and keep warm until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, remove the sausages and slice. Return the sausages to the Quick Cooker and stir to combine.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @slicedicedish on Instagram and hashtag it #slicedicedish
Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links. Colleen Finley is an independent advanced director for Pampered Chef. She earns a commission by linking to products she uses and trusts. If you purchase a product through her website link, your cost will be the same, and Colleen will automatically receive a small commission. Your support is greatly appreciated and helps us enrich lives, one meal and one memory at a time!