There is a great little bakery across the street from my office. I was in a pinch for lunch one day so I popped over to see what they had and was so happy to see a few vegan options and a GF breakfast bar. One item they had was a lentil salad and I think I’ve only had them once or twice before. Of course I fell in love with them!
Recently I signed up for a 3 month subscription to EMeals vegan menu for 2. I want to try to incorporate as many vegan meals as I can into my diet to keep my PHI levels from increasing. I adapted this recipe from one of the menus. I had some chicken I had to use so now of course it’s not vegan but is helping me head in the right direction!
Lemon Pepper Chicken & Lentil Salad
4 ounces chicken breast tenderloins
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 tablespoon lemon pepper seasoning (I used this one)
1 cup green lentils
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup white onion, finely diced
1/2 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- Place 1 tablespoon olive oil and the lemon pepper seasoning in the bottom of a bowl. Add the chicken tenderloins and toss to coat. Set aside.
- Pour the lentils into a saucepan and fill with water to cover by 3 inches. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer 15 minutes. Drain and rinse.
- Meanwhile, chop the bell pepper and dice the onion. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, basil, lemon zest, lemon juice and mustard.
- Heat a grill pan over high heat for 1 minute. Add the chicken and place a press on top. Grill 4 minutes, turn and grill 4 additional minutes. Remove from the pan and let rest. Then dice.
- In a serving bowl, mix the lentils, bell pepper, onion and dressing, tossing to combine.
- Portion into serving dishes and top with the diced chicken and additional basil if desired.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @slicedicedish on Instagram and hashtag it #slicedicedish
Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links. Colleen Finley is an independent advanced director for Pampered Chef. She earns a commission by linking to products she uses and trusts. If you purchase a product through her website link, your cost will be the same, and Colleen will automatically receive a small commission. Your support is greatly appreciated and helps us enrich lives, one meal and one memory at a time!