Traditionally, puttanesca sauce is named for the ladies of the night and contains tomatoes. This one I changed up a bit and instead of the tomatoes, I used roasted red pepper strips. I find them less acidic and to have more flavor. This dish has a ton of flavor and is very quick to make and the topping can also be used as a ragu for sprialized noodles.
Mediterranean Puttanesca Pizza
1 tablespoon olive oil
1-1/2 pounds russet potatoes, spiralized
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon roasted red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves, pressed
2 anchovy filets
2 cups roasted red pepper strips
1/2 cup kalamata olives, sliced
2 tablespoons capers
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
vegan parmesan cheese (optional)
- Heat the oven to 375˚F.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the oil and heat until shimmering. Add the spiralized potatoes and sprinkle with the salt and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring occasionally until soft, about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, lightly beat the egg. Add the almond flour and mix to combine.
- Add the potatoes to the bowl and toss to coat with the egg/almond flour mixture. Spread evenly on a round baking stone and press to flatten. Bake 15-20 minutes or until crisp and lightly browned.
- While the crust is baking, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat in a medium skillet. Add the garlic and anchovies. Lightly sauté until the anchovies have dissolved into the oil.
- Add the red pepper strips, olives and capers and heat through.
- Remove the crust from the oven and slide a spatula under the crust to loosen from the stone, if necessary.
- Add the toppings and sprinkle with vegan parmesan cheese, if desired. Return to the oven 5 minutes longer to heat through.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the parsley. Cut into wedges and serve.
Some of the links on this page may be affiliate links. Colleen Finley is an independent advanced director for Pampered Chef. She earns a commission by linking to products she uses and trusts. If you purchase a product through her website link, your cost will be the same, and Colleen will automatically receive a small commission. Your support is greatly appreciated and helps us enrich lives, one meal and one memory at a time!