We probably have this once each week. What I love about it is that it’s always consistent and I can do it in the oven if it’s chilly out or outside on the grill in warmer weather. I have yet to find anyone who doesn’t love asparagus this way (except those who generally hate asparagus overall!)
Asparagus was once classified as being in the lily family, like onions and garlic, but the they have been split and the onion-like plants are now in different families. Asparagus is native to most of Europe, northern Africa and western Asia.
Water makes up 93% of asparagus’s composition and it is low in calories and is very low in sodium. It is a good source of vitamin B6, calcium, magnesium, and zinc, and a very good source of dietary fiber, protein, beta-carotene, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K, thiamin, riboflavin, rutin, niacin, folic acid, iron, phosphorus, potassium, copper, magnesium, and selenium, as well as chromium, a trace mineral that enhances the ability of insulin to transport glucose from the bloodstream into cells.
So now that you have some history, give this recipe a try! You’ll love it!
Easiest Roasted Asparagus
1 pound asparagus
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon Montreal steak seasoning (I use McCormick)
- Heat the oven to 375˚F or heat a grill for medium heat.
- Snap off the woody stems from the end of the asparagus and peel if desired.
- In a plastic bag, combine the asparagus, oil and steak seasoning. Massage the asparagus so that all spears are covered with the oil and seasoning.
- Remove the asparagus from the bag and place on a baking platter or in a grill tray*.
- Place in the oven or on the grill and cover. Bake 10-12 minutes or until bright green.
*Do not use a grill tray in a conventional oven. The oil will drip through the grid of the tray onto the bottom of your oven and that is a big fire hazard!
Some of the links on this page may be affiliate links. Colleen Finley is an independent advanced director for Pampered Chef. She earns a commission by linking to products she uses and trusts. If you purchase a product through her website link, your cost will be the same, and Colleen will automatically receive a small commission. Your support is greatly appreciated and helps us enrich lives, one meal and one memory at a time!